I’ve Got Your Number. . .

Hello my friends,

It seems to me that whenever you are looking for a specific number it is no where to be found.  That certainly was the case with me.

I have had this cupboard for years and it has been stored in my basement ever since we moved into this home.  Two of my friends and I ordered it from a wood shop in Orem ages, I mean ages ago.  Both of my friends have gotten rid of theirs.  I have always loved the cubbies and couldn’t part with it.

IMG_9599

Although it was being stored, it was still useful.  The little cubbies were great for storing all of my extra threads.  Most of which were old ones handed down to me from my sweet mother.

I had them arranged alphabetically by color.

IMG_9600

A few weeks ago I decided to bring her upstairs and give her a new look.  I’m thinking I will use her in my craft room when the basement is finished.

IMG_9798

I painted her with A.S. Old White chalk paint and then sanded her quite heavily, letting the stain show through. I then finished her off with a coat of clear wax.

I wanted her to look time worn.  Notice how my pieces are always woman?  lol!

A trip to Hobby Lobby for some new knobs.  These black ones had a slight design on them.  I thought they would work well to sand and give them an aged feel.

IMG_9801

Try as I might. . .I could not find numbers 1 – 12 to put on the cubbies.  I shopped and googled all without success.  I even saw a cabinet in a store that had them on it.

IMG_9800

I saw this packet of assorted numbers by Tim Holtz at Hobby Lobby.  Finally, (being the impatient person that I am) I decided to succumb and give the cabinet the look of missing drawers, (missing drawers, that sounds racy!)  You know, the idea that it was built with leftover drawers from something and some of the numbers were missing.  There were only 9 numbers in the package.  I didn’t want to repeat numbers so some drawers were randomly left numberless.  You know, things do fall off and get lost when pieces get old.  Am I stretching it here now?

I am happy to say that it does have one of my lucky numbers. . .number 17.

IMG_9803

I kind of like the look and I’m so glad that I got her finished so that she could be stored for two more months. Hee-hee!  For now I had an empty spot in my living room so she did get to stay upstairs.  The framed hearts on top just happened to be hanging on the wall so I sat them on top.

IMG_9799

How do you like my new (old) lady, and does she have your favorite number?

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday

Knick of Time Tuesday

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures

Savvy Southern Style for W.O.W.

Ivy and Elephants for What's it Wednesday

Primp Your Stuff

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Party

Common Ground for Be Inspired!

French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays

Shabby Art Boutique for Shabbilicious Friday

Miss Mustard Seed for Furniture Feature Friday

Green Willow Pond for What I Accomplished Wednesday

Power of Pinterest Party

48 comments

Bernideen said...

so glad you kept this piece - it is working so well and the new look is great.

Melanie said...

She is lovely!! I have a similar cabinet that I kept becuase I just loved it and didn't want to part with it either! Perhaps my "old" girl should get a paint job too!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Very cute! I've still never tried ASCP, but your little cupboard is definitely inspiring!
xo,
RJ

Old Time Cindy said...

She looks great!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

"She" is very pretty and I wonder if your friends are sorry they didn't keep theirs!

Nell at njschout said...

Really like the new look of your cupboard!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It really does look different with your special touches. I like 4 or 44! lol Love those new knobs, too!

Kris said...

LOVE it!!
xo Kris

Susie said...

Jann, I love the make over of the little cupboard. So cute, I bet your friends will wish they had theirs back.:)xoxo,Susie

Shirley Hatfield said...

Once they see the new look of the cupboard your friends are going to be sorrrrrry! I would have done the same thing with the finish...it's perfect! =D

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I really like the cabinet and love the usefulness of the item. It is really cute love the numbers.

Susan said...

I just love your cubbies. It looks awesome painted white. Gorgeous. That will be a perfect piece for your craft room, just right to store all those craft supplies.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Awesome makeover Jann!!

Unknown said...

Oh I love little cabinets with little cubbies-reminds me of the library.
I have a step-up apothecary chest and an 8 drawer side cabinet. I use them both for my music CD's and smile every time I see them. I love the idea of yours holding crafting supplies!

Gayle said...

It seems there are LOTS Of us who love little drawers & cubbies - you should see my Pinterest board of great examples! You did a great job of updating your piece - I would never get rid of it either!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a neat storage piece to have. I would not have got rid of it either.
Hope you are enjoying your week.

Lorena said...

"She" looks fantastic! LOVE IT!!!
Have a nice day!!!
Lorena

camp and cottage living said...

I bet you're so glad you didn't get rid of her-she' so unique.
I love her in her new white dress!

Sarah said...

Very clever. Aren't you happy you kept this piece?

NanaDiana said...

Oh-Wow! I am glad you kept her and updated her with paint and distressing. It looks wonderful. Is there an 8 on there? That would be it for me- xo Diana

Gina said...

She is looking fabulous Jann! Painting her was the right choice & I love the numbers and the "missing drawers." lol

Connie said...

When your friends see your re-do they are going to wish that they still had theirs. It always is amazing what a can of paint can do :)
The numbers are a great addition.
Great job!
Have a lovely week.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

cynthia lee designs said...

Great makeover...she looks great!! Love it!!
~Cindy

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

"She" is as cute as can be!! I wouldn't have been able to part with her either! I wonder if your friends now regret having gotten rid of theirs (I know I've done that a time or two...). She is perfect! ~Zuni

Highpoint Circle said...

Thank you so much for the follow! I have been following you for a bit myself. I do love your new (old) lady and think she looks great with her facelift! I do love those numbers on her too. Great job.

Unknown said...

that looks FABULOUS! I love the old finish and the missing number is brilliant! :) Youre so talented girlie!

Hugs,

Maria Elena said...

I love this piece! I know you are glad you kept it. It is gorgeous! It looks so pretty with the new finish and the numbers. So original!

retrorevival.biz said...

Simply lovely! You're a smart lady for having saved this beauty:)

Emilou said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Love her new look. Thanks for sharing, and I agree with an above comment, bet your friends wish they had kept theirs.

Fran. said...

Aw shucks Jann my favorite# is 6!! You have a different number for your favorite. I don't hear that one to much. Ok how cool is the new ole lady shelf!! Love it and how you repurposed it!! It turned out great! I bet your gettin excited now about your new room!! I got mine and now I have messed it up. Shame on me!! LOL Thanks for sharing!! XOXO Love Fran.

Rose L said...

I have never seen a cabinet like that before. Such a great one with all the storage it offers!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

O MY!! What a fantastic piece!! I am just thinking of all I could store in there...

Great job on the refinishing!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Winnie said...

It's a very beautiful cupboard and I'm glad you kept it.
You gave it a completely new look which I really like!
Very good job Jann

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Oh I just love her! And the way that you love to decorate for each holiday ? Those missing number drawers can just have a tiny little valentine, then eggs, and so on! :) haha i just made more work for you with my goofy idea :)

bj said...

I love cubbies with a passion...
found one at Pottery Barn that I've been looking at for a year....
Love yours, too.
over from Lavender Garden....
and linking up to follow.

Kameel huise tussen spore said...

Love the cupboard.
Thanks for hosting
Greetings from Sunny South Africa
Sandra

stefanie said...

super cute!!!!

The HOME GIRL said...

What a great cabinet! Love the transformation! Thanks for sharing this! Have a great day! =D

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

What a darling cabinet and so much better painted! I would love it if you would link this to my new linky party, "What I Accomplished Wednesdays."
http://www.greenwillowpond.com/2013/01/what-ive-accomplished-wednesday-cha-cha.html

Have a great weekend!
Deborah

must love junk said...

Oh, I LOVE this makeover! The numbers really make it for me :)
Susan

Sandy said...

I love her new incarnation! I'm the say way, always referring to my projects as she! Who cares if the numbers aren't in order. Love the random numbers. Great makeover!

House Crazy in Michigan! said...

Love this cubbie cupboard-so pretty and so practical.

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

House Crazy in Michigan! said...

Love this cubbie cupboard-so pretty and so practical.

Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

I love it! Very good vision of this piece... I'm afraid I wouldn't have reognized it's potential.

perch shop said...

adding the numbers to the drawers looks so great. really great transformation altogether! great job!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Jann,
What a beautiful piece painted white. I love the new knobs and numbers on the cubbies, so cute! Can't wait to see how you'll use it in your craft room. Thanks so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays.

Jody

Sumaya at Evocative Vintage said...

Jann, what a BEAUT! I am so happy that you decided to revive her. I love cubby cupboards. I might just commission a carpenter to make me one after seeing yours.

I absoluteky have to pin it!:)

Thanks for sharing!

Hugs
Sumaya

Heirloom treasures said...

This is so unusual,I love it. You made such a good job of the make over too. x

Instagram