Everything is Coming Up Roses!

Ever since Mother’s Day the Olson gardens are seeming to be a  bit more rosy.

Last Fall hubby installed a rustic metal fence in the East corner of our yard.  Originally I bought the shabby white fence to go behind our pergola.  Soon I realized that it was just too much.  I thought that I could use it for a vegetable garden.

This is my engineer hubby’s way of rigging it up to stay straight in the concrete.

IMG_3808

Well, a girl’s got a right to change her mind.

The more I looked at the area the more I thought, rose garden.

Each of my 5 children gave me a rose bush for Mother’s Day.

I bought 6 more roses and this is the results.

IMG_6566

The bushes are small, and there are a lot that haven’t bloomed yet, but oh, how lovely it soon will be.  Especially in years to come.

The roses that are blooming are gorgeous!  The kids gave me a good variety.

2012-05-19 waterfall and roses

IMG_6567

We had an extra piece of fencing so I placed it like an open gate.

I planted Sweet Peas all along it.

IMG_6564

Side view of my new rose garden.  We installed the two birdhouses last year.

IMG_6562

Did you notice that I didn’t totally do away with the vegetable garden idea?

IMG_6577

At the end that connects to our rock wall hubby tiered me a couple of levels for vegetables.  I also plant some veggies here and there on the rock wall.  Aren’t you happy to know that we will still be eating healthy?

Last year with the help of my sister and a friend I made five different concrete and broken glass stepping stones.  I placed three of them up the center of the garden and planted  some moss to soften them.

IMG_6574

IMG_6575

Here is a close up to show you the broken glass.  If you would like a tutorial let me know.  I took pictures as we were making them.

IMG_6576

IMG_6601

Each day I happily anticipate the unfurling of each new bud.

IMG_6569

Even the bees are loving my new rose garden.

IMG_6570

I hope things are looking rosy at your house!

Hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing my new rose garden with:

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday

Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

Diane Writes for Beautiful Sunday

Alderberry Hill for Make the Scene Monday

Faded Charm for White Wednesday

Bunny Jeans for Bunny Hop Wednesday

Fishtail Cottage for Cottage Garden Party

No Minimalist Here for Open House Party Thursday

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

33 comments

Snap said...

I love roses and all the different colors and scents. You will love your new rose garden. Glad you didn't forget the veggies! :D :D The stepping stones are great!

Vee said...

Oh you're going to have such a beautiful rose garden. It's beautiful now in its infancy. The pavers you made are wonderful, too!

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,
What a wonderful gift! And it is one that will keep on giving for years to come! The roses are just gorgeous, and that fence is so unique... Hubby did a great job as usual! Love how you left the one section as an open gate.
Great idea! Oh, and those tomato cages are so cute with their rainbow of colour!!
Have a great week,
All the Best,
Christine

Julie Marie said...

Oh Jann, your rose garden is so pretty, and how fun your children all gave you roses!... love your sweet little birdhouses... and love our beautiful mountains in the background!... your stepping stones are so pretty too!... yes... everything is looking rosy!... xoxo Julie Marie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love roses - thanks for sharing yours.
Have a great week.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Great fence for a rose garden!

Linda said...

What a lovely rose garden! DH made me a rose garden a few years ago with 5 fragrant roses - white, yellow, salmon, red and pink. I am always so happy when they start blooming...and enjoy them so much! I am sure yours will be enjoyed for many years!

Heirloom treasures said...

How lovely this is going to be. I can just imagine an iron bench nearby to take in the beauty and intoxicating scents. MMMM love the fence too and the idea of the open gate with sweet peas. I hope you will post this little corner again when they are all grown. xx

NanaDiana said...

Oh- It is already gorgeous so I can't imagine how beautiful it will be in a couple of years when it is fully established. What a great area to have..and I love that little fence. Beautiful!..xo Diana ps...I think I have to change the name of my post tomorrow now so that you don't think I am a copy cat!;>) xo Diana

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Jann,

How exciting! Oh when those grow and fill out - whoo hoo won't that be something? Straight out of an English Country Cottage garden!

Well done, m'lady!!

(Love the fencing too, that's awesome.) Not to mention your helpful hubby!!

Two Cottages And Tea said...

What a neat idea to use the corner for a rose garden. It looks lovely already and just think how it wiil be this summer and next! Your fencing really sets it off, so cute! Have a wonderful week!
Nancy

Vicki/Jake said...

Ummm....not here where the tumbleweeds come to die. No engineering hubby either:)But I'm for sure gonna come here to see how your's are coming along!

Diane Writes said...

Hats off to a beautiful post Jann! More than your beautiful budding garden, I appreciate the fact that the garden has been a product of your family's teamwork. The hubby, wifey and the kids has their own contribution. You are blessed with a great family Jann!

Nancy said...

Loving the old fence and the design your hubby employed -- beautiful! I love roses and wish I had more. :)

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Jann, Love your rose garden. They will grow more quickly then you even think! Love your wrought iron too.

Wanted to let you know I finally did my post on the Kreativ Blogger award. Thanks again! Pam

Ingmarie We said...

I am sure your rose garden will look fabulous in the future. It is already very nice and colourful.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I am sure you are going to have a wonderful rose garden in the near future. Your children were very thoughtful. Valerie

Pondside said...

How beautiful - and what a gorgeous idea for mother's day. Your children are very good at thinking of a special gift!

Fran said...

Oh, my goodness! So much eye candy in this post--the garden, the roses, the stepping stones, THAT FENCE!! Love it all. Thank you for following my blog......I'm now your newest follower and look forward to reading all of your posts!
Hugs,
Fran

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

What a beautiful rose garden! Knowing your children bought you the roses for Mother's Day makes it even more special.

Grandma Linda's Daydreams said...

Oh, that was wonderful for your kids to give you bushes for your lovely rose garden! They are so pretty and your little fence, so charming!
Happy Memorial Day!
Blessings!
Linda @ Grandmalay's Daydreams

Sandy said...

You have given me Rose Garden
envy... what a wonderful space
and how nice that your children
gave you roses... enjoy!
Sandy

Unknown said...

Love the roses! So pretty.

New follower from the blog hop :) Can't wait to catch up your posts!

Hopefully you get a chance to stop by my blog.

xo, Jersey Girl

hairsprayandhighheels.blogspot.com

Fishtail Cottage said...

So lovely! I adore that "garden" sign...thank you so much for linking up to the Cottage Garden Party and sharing your beautiful garden again this week! xoxo, tracie

Suffia said...

I can imagine how beautiful your garden is when all the roses bloom. Gorgeous!

BailiwickStudio said...

Your rose garden is going to be so amazing! I love the rusty fence. ::Jill

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Your rose garden looks great. I'll have to show it to my Mom. She will love it too!

Connie@shabbyforsure said...

Hi, Such a gorgeous garden and I can see it is filled with love... Connie

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

your roses are so pretty and such a great way to show them off! I hopped over from French Country's Feathered Nest Friday.

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

I love your stepping stones! I've always wanted to make some like that. Maybe someday...
Erica :)

Sarah said...

Oh, I can just imagine this rose garden when those bushes are grown and in full bloom. What a treat!

Art and Sand said...

Your garden is looking lovely and I just love those mosaics.

Kathy said...

Hello Jann, Isn't it wonderful when our dear husbands do those little things that make our life wonderful. The fence is beautiful and he did a marvelous job setting them up for you. I just love getting roses for Mother's Day, birthday etc...when I walk through the garden I can remember my children thinking of me.
This rose garden will be so special to you in so many ways! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Instagram